[UK-CONTEST] G0TZZ queries

Chris Rolinson G7DDN g7ddn at g7ddn.com
Mon Jan 24 08:19:30 PST 2011

All

I am pleased my posts have at least started some debate, if not perhaps always totally constructive.  May I answer some points?

Gordon, your 4 hypothetical categories simply miss the point of my post. I am not suggesting categories for ANYTHING, but for what most seem to agree is 2 basic contesting skills, running and s&p-ing.   Your point about meaningless certificates is a good one though, as plenty of contests seem to think they are quite useful in stimulating activity!

Peter, I am surprised you dismiss my suggestions as "totally daft".  I cannot forsee many situations where well-equipped stations would s&p!  They most likely won't - any more than a 10w station would spend a whole contest trying to run!  Your comments about "a science bordering on alchemy" seem overblown to me.  When no-one answers your CQs, it is not rocket science (if I may be permitted to mix a metaphor) to realise it may be time to change strategy!  Sometimes I feel we are guilty of making the hobby more complicated than it perhaps really is!  Finally, if, as you intimate, one is to simply work everyone else by the end of the contest, then surely that is totally self-defeating - we might all as well give in now.  Of course, that doesn't happen - and that is part of the fun of contesting.

Robert, thank you for your constructive reply and positive stories.  It would be good to hear more like this on this forum.  I fear you may have misunderstood my point with regard to a Foundation-style contest in that I was merely suggesting that M6 & M3 stations only be permitted to run.  Those of us with bigger stations would queue up to work THEM if you get my drift.  I suppose the real point here is that there has been a force in the hobby from the RSGB together with the RCF to introduce the new licensing system (whatever we may think of it and that is a different debate) and it seems then churlish not to provide more opportunities for new licensees to get involved in contesting with a realistic chance of some kind of success, however limited. To allude to Gordon's point, a certificate to a 14 year old in her first contest might be just the incentive she needs to go on to bigger things. Certainly not "meaningless".

Chris, I agree with you wholeheartedly - I too regard many contests as an opportunity to improve my own score and that is part of the self-improvement aspect of the hobby. However, I do think that as a contesting community, we could do more to get new licensees behind a microphone or key or keyboard more.  At my own club, we joined in the Club Calls last November with several 2E0 stations operating who hardly ever come on air (except to each other), let alone in a contest with a complex exchange!  However, with help and some scriptwriting and prompting, they got through it and most importantly had FUN! They then had a go in the 2m AFS in December with more motivation and are more positively disposed towards contests than they were.  I like to think that we have got at least 2 people on our side rather than 2 people likely to write to RadCom moaning about contests taking over the bands!

Jim, I hope you can see from above that actually some people DO need hand-holding in contests - I have helped several folk to do just that in their first contests.  Yes it isn't rocket science, but for newcomers it can still be daunting.  I have seen people get their tongues in a twist with locator exchanges for example. I do not think this is "stupid".

Tom, you seem to be suggesting that people should all be left to their own devices - I would not have got far in the hobby without a few of what our US cousins call elmers, and I suspect a lot of people on this list fall into that category too!

Peter, your second reply seems to put the onus on people to go find a contesting group - all of which presupposes people know what contesting is about in order to join such a group.  My experience is that people tend to like to taste something and see if they like it before they actively go in search of a contest group.  Personally I have never been in a contesting group but I still enjoy contesting - and I like helping newcomers to see what it is about too.

Please fellow contesters, let's try to "think outside the box".  Instead of summarily dismissing ideas, can we not just reflect on the possibilities, otherwise this group may end up sounding like a bunch of hardened old fogies who don't want anything to change.  I prefer to believe that of all people in the hobby, contesters are at the forefront, pushing boundaries, but hopefully being INCLUSIVE in our ranks.

I will not reply further to the group, as this seems to have stirred up more than intended and I think I have made my points.

See you on air!

Regards es 73

Chris Rolinson G7DDN
g7ddn at g7ddn.com