[UK-CONTEST] RadCom letters

Dave H davekh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 05:25:54 PDT 2011

I would like to see the RSGB (whom claim to represent amateurs in the UK) be
some kind of arbiter in this and  not APPEAR let one side or other use
RADCOM as a  means to cause one (popular) element of the interest to be seen
in a very negative light regularly. (doesn't help the hobby to set one part
of it against the other - a 'no-brainer' there!).

Could someone analyse the list of dates of a years contesting? To then
(hopefully!) nail this idea to the ground that somehow contests are the
destroyer of amateur radio?

The idea of contesting could be used as a means to get people transmitting,
'Sport radio' which also could be a means to access other funds and support!
The turnover in new licencees doesn't seem to equate into new users on the
many frequencies we have (I maybe wrong). Keying that mike thinking that all
the locals or trainer might be waiting to tell you off is all the more scary
than perhaps starting in a digimode contest or cw/ssb contest the activity
is repetitive and simple once rules are read and understood. When  we've got
people actually transmitting, it's easier to get them talking on air in
none-contest situations, helping make sure we don't lose freqs. It's all a
bit like, the lack of motorway driving in the driving test.

Perhaps a discussion could take place at the HF convention? Thats something
that could be organised by the RSGB for those who are a going?

I heard moans on a local repeater this morning about CW contesting stopping
someone going on to 20m - the bare facts of how much contesting there really
is need putting into the light then perhaps moving on.

Dave H G0CER

73s Dave H
G0CER - KJ4QAO (now with added 'Extra' class)
(also G6VSG)
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?G0CER
http://g0cer.blogspot.com