[UK-CONTEST] Gonna write me a letter

Roger Western g3sxw at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 25 05:06:50 PDT 2011

Quite right, Stewart. If all these selfish people don't stop enjoying
themselves soon I will just have to send my licence back to Ofcom in
protest. Our hard-won radio spectrum should be kept completely clear of
signals just in case I feel like switching on every few weeks.

And another thing: I used to play around with contests with my 50' wire down
to the fence, but these days pushy blighters get together in 'Contest Clubs'
and really work hard and you know what . . . they WIN. It's not fair that
the little guy with his indoor magnetic loop can't win so I think we should
ban all those with operating skills and big antennas - then youngsters could
win on their first or second attempt. That will be fair: everyone playing at
the lowest common denominator. Ofcom should ban CW above 12 wpm and limit
power to 10 watts: that'd really sort the men from the boys. Then contests
will die for lack of support, then we can all take up bird-watching . . .  a
great result for those who would squash enthusiasm.

73 de Roger/G3SXW.