[UK-CONTEST] Vertical Dipoles

Clive GM3POI gm3poi2 at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 25 11:43:39 PDT 2011

Ok 2nd try:
Jim,
     It will make little difference which you choose but I would
probably go with half wave verticals. This is so your loss appears at
1/4 wave away from the antenna i.e  At sea. It also gives you a little
more gain
      Using a 1/4 wave antenna may mean more loss, the maximum current
being at the base feed point.
    BTW. The vertical dipole can be bent in the vertical plane with up
to a 90 degree included angle between each element half. This also
brings down the feed Z.  Needs Modelling ideally but try it.
      Raising the feed points of your 1/4 or 1/2 wave vertical higher,
can be a bad move (i.e 6m or more) as it will split the vertical lobe
and you may end up with more gain at a too higher wave angle. This
really needs to be modelled against the known terrain.
     We have recently completely changed an idea of using 4Sq s near the
sea for this reason.  With Just a 6m elevation we would have ended up
with maximum gain at something in excess of 25 degrees, No good for
anything.
     In your case the next step would be to add gain to the antenna, but
this adds complexity.

      But your right anyone using Horizontal antennas near the sea is
wasting  RF in terms of getting any advantage in gain or low angles.

73 Clive GM3POI