[UK-CONTEST] GM0ADX/P NFD report

GM3YEH gm3yeh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:14:09 PDT 2011

  Band    QSOs    Pts
       1.8      94     724
       3.5     165     574
          7     281     913
        14     316    1042
         21      30     113
         28      16      88
      Total     902    3454

Kilmarnock and Loudoun ARC came back to NFD in 2008 ago after not entering
since the late 90s.  Our generator went crazy that year and fried a laptop
PSU.  The idea of getting back into NFD was to see if we could get some of
the new blood in the club to take up the key.  Nobody will be surprised that
last weekend we only had two of the old hands operating...c'est la vie!

A very simple setup in the Open Section with a TA33jr and nested dipoles for
40/80/160 all supported by a single 30 foot scaffold pole mast.  Rig was an
IC-756 Pro II and logger was N1MM with RBN running.  Accommodation was our
trusty old ex-army tent with the stenciled date still clearly visible on the
side - 1940.  RBN and 1940 tent...we like them both!   Friday evening was
the delivery of kit to the site and we were sweltering in the heat.
 Saturday morning and an easterly gale froze us to the marrow.  The cold
strong wind continued from then onwards.  Amazingly - no rain!

No real DX to speak of...not even any decent openings to the States.  Best
DX was probably VP8. We seem to be stuck at around 900 Qs in this contest so
we really need to look at how other groups are consistently going well over
1,000 Qs, including some in the restricted section.  We must do better!
 Tough going at times especially towards the end.  Did anyone else have a
problem with what seemed initially to be a pirate signing 94xxx?  After
many, many attempts to confirm the callsign it turned out to be ON4xxx with
no space between the O and N...until he gave in and kindly inserted one for
usI   A highlight was our first official inspection for a while - thanks for
making the long trip to see us Jim.

See you all next year.

Barry GM3YEH and Steve GM4OSS.