[UK-CONTEST] CQWW 160 SSB

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Thu Mar 3 09:12:13 PST 2011

I wasn't going to comment further on this thread, but statements like
make me boil.

Your numbers don't make sense. In CQWW CW 2009 there were 6,000
entrants. Assume that around 25% of those were serious entrants, 1,500,
with quite a few of them multi-multi on all bands simultaneously and
mainly running. That makes no more than 1,000 active on any band at any
time. Take the casual operators and those not even more casual who just
come on for a short time, and I would venture for most bands at any
particular location there are only 500 or so stations with large-ish
signals.

Apart from 160m and 40m (which started this thread) there is never any
need for SSB to operate below bandplan limits or for CW to go much
higher than 14120 say. There does need to be hard limits in the rules
for say not below 7025 on SSB or RTTY, but 'variable bandplans' have
already been discussed at IARU and thrown out and unrealistic - how do
you define how 'major' a contest has to be to qualify and how do you
pre-notify the non contest community. Won't work, full stop.

I do contests myself as you know, and enjoy many of them. It is good
that it generates activity on the bands, which sadly most of the time
are very quiet (a sign that many stations come on ONLY in contests,
another criticism I hear). But I have little interest in many of the
lesser contests that spring up sometimes unannounced when all I want to
do is to find a few new DX slots and find I can only work Ukraine in
that particular contest - so all the DX has also given up for the
afternoon.

Like it or not, there is not the interest in contests outside this
reflector that some suggest. I have been trying to get more of our
members active in CC and like, but it is an uphill struggle, many are
just not interested. There is certainly a large section of our amateur
community averse to them and they simply don't accept being told the
sort of arguments put forward here. We need to accept both sides of the
argument.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com