[UK-CONTEST] Aircraft Reflection

Clive Whelan clive at gw3njw.net
Mon Mar 21 12:06:17 PDT 2011

Not directly relevant, but I remember many years ago in the Bulletin (
probably still was the Bull. back then!) an article on aircraft
reflections, I believe it was on 144Mhz, using beacons of the era as the
subject matter.

The article discussed the interference between the direct path and the
aircraft reflection, giving the familiar variable speed " chuff-chuff "
sound of the received signal. The author- who was somewhere on the South
Downs if I recall-. also commented upon the special situation, when the
" train came into the station", i.e the frequency of the chuff chuff was
briefly zero, and the signal was steady. iirc He provided a mathematical
proof that this occurred precisely when the aircraft, the beacon, and
the receiving station were all on the path of a common ellipse. He then
showed that there were in fact a number of such ellipses so that the
train could come into the station, stop, leave and apparently repeat the
process at a " different station"! Of course, this was in the era when
thee used to be interesting articles in Radcom as now is, rather than a
collection of special interest sections, which in totality are probably
only of interest to the polymath :-(

  In fact, as I write this I am hearing just that sort of reflection on
the Cornish ( GB3MCB) beacon on 6m, albeit with my ( handraulic) rotator
fixed to the East. However that particular train has never come into the
station , suggesting that the aircraft did not cross an ellipse on which
both myself and GB3MCB (50042.5)  are located, hardly surprising since
our antennae are mutually at right angles.

Of course, even HF operators in south GW hear not dissimilar
reflections, on other GW signals in the South ( well on CW anyway), and
there is little doubt that these are from the hills to the North of each
of us ( aircraft presumably being too small to reflect HF signals?), but
why the reflection exhibits a periodicity is not clear to yt, but one
might postulate that it is something to do with the wx conditions. The
periodicity of these reflections is interestingly very similar to those
heard on W6 signals

Zut alors, this is nothing to do with contesting, so I'd better QRT!

73

Clive
GW3NJW