[UK-CONTEST] HyGain Traps

Chris Tran GM3WOJ zl1ct1 at gm7v.com
Fri Mar 25 00:58:09 PDT 2011

Hello Bob et al

About 10 years ago I had to repair some traps from a HyGain TH7DXX.
It is very difficult, but not impossible, to avoid damaging some parts of
the
traps when dismantling. My first efforts involved using a 1/8" drill to
drill out
the dimples as you described - this did not work too well cos the edges of
the
holes still dug into the black insulator rings.

I ended up just forcing the trap covers off - after bending the
coil-attachment tabs
out of the way (inevitably one or two of these may break because of metal
fatigue)
you will find that sufficient force just drags the metal cover through the
insulators
without causing any lasting significant damage to either.

You will find corrosion between the steel coil-end-fixing screws and the
aluminium
wire of the coils and aluminium elements. This is worse on the DE where some
of the
coils are made of copper wire.

73
Chris