[UK-CONTEST] Planning Traumas in Lincolnshire

Nick Totterdell ntotterdell at riverauto.co.uk
Fri May 13 10:17:51 PDT 2011

Many thanks to all those who have supported this planning application. Support from remote radio enthusiasts clearly does not carry as much weight as that from close neighbours, however it is encouraging to me and makes the whole process more interesting!
I promised to keep the group posted on my progress and as things have changed somewhat, here is the latest update:

I had a meeting at the house with two representatives from the East Lindsey Planning Department a couple of weeks ago. I wound my 18m mast to full height in the back garden with an A3S on the top and we looked at this from outside the property with the planners able to establish exactly what can be seen from where when the mast is either fully erected or when lowered to its ambush position.
After this we had a discussion during which the planners advised that their assessment is that local opinion is equally divided and that although they could probably support the application unchanged, it would be much more likely to be successful if it were changed to take account of the objections from some of the immediate neighbours.

As a result of this meeting I have now amended the application to have only a single 24m Versatower with this in the back garden and with only the Titanex in the front garden. I have still shown the 40m four square in the back garden too but I don't think there is actually enough room for it. So if the planning is successful, I will probably have to abandon my 20m, 15m and 10m monobanders and have a combination of a big tribander and perhaps a small 40m beam on the Versatower, whilst using the Titanex for 80m and 160m. For SO2R operation I can use wire aerials or a multiband vertical, say. So although the application is significantly reduced, there still will be scope for some fun contest activity.

The other change is to agree to restrict the full erection of the mast and Titanex to 48 days/year. This is not too onerous as this is not a permanent residence.

Now, East Lindsey will write to all those who have previously commented and have provided an address, so those of you who have commented before are likely to hear about this. If you haven't previously commented, a new consultation period has now been started and so you could make a comment should you wish. Details of the amended application can be found at http://www.theddlethorpe.org.uk/planning.htm.

The application is likely to come to the full council planning committee in June. In the meantime I have loads of work to do so will try to put this out of my mind!

Thanks.

73 Nick G4FAL