[UK-CONTEST] The Spirit of Contesting

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue May 31 03:33:49 PDT 2011

Morning,

I think I know what it means, you think you know what it means, Bob thinks
he knows what it means, the adjudicators have an idea of what it means, and
then there's the rules.

We all come from different aspects of radio and different eras, so our
preception of " the spirit of the contest/amateur radio" is different.

It's a non-quantifiable term, we all have our on interpretation of what we'd
like it to be, but so does everyone else, and probably they're all
different. It's a complete waste to put it in the rules if you are not going
to spell out what that is. If you want to get rid of bad practices, you've
got to spell out what they are and deal with them by penalising entrants. If
that's not possible for whatever reason, technical or internationally, then
your wasting your time with wafty statements about "spirit". That won't cut
it nowadays.

Sorry to be a bit heavy this morning, 73

Bob G8HGN