[UK-CONTEST] 144MHz Trophy - lack of UK activity

dave daveg3tbk at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 7 08:08:23 PDT 2011

Bob, a quick look at the Contesting calendar would have told you that
RSGB SSB FD runs concurrently with IARU Region 1 Field Day, which I
suspect has as many or more entrants than the 2m event, being supported
this year by stations from Namibia to Asia and literally hundreds of Eu
portables.

Stewart, try telling stations like Bristol or ourselves that setting up
an Open Section FD station is easier than a 2m one! Multiple towers and
HF Yagis plus other antennas for LF, and antennas for spotting RX
aren't trivial - plus auto bandswitching and other refinements.

Some clubs manage to do both events, we used to do but gave up, partly
because of lack of ops interested in VHF and partly because we were
totally uncompetitive from our Site - which is great for HF but lousy
for VHF/UHF, despite being on the highest point in the vicinity.

I regret the loss of interest in major VHF/UHF events in the UK, but
that goes along with the general decline in VHF/UHF activity. I don't
think the blame can be laid at the door of SSB FD.

73 Dave G3TBK - still recovering from working 1400+ in SSB FD!