[UK-CONTEST] 144Mhz Trophy --lack of activity

Robert Chipperfield robert at syxis.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 11:52:36 PDT 2011

Hi David (and others - some interesting discussion),

> For me what makes a contest interesting is QSOs lots of them and
> technical/operator challenge.
If you're purely interested in getting through as many exchanges as
possible in a given time, I can offer you a nice copy of MorseRunner
that will allow you to copy as many exchanges as you ever want. Much
cheaper than a radio, too, and none of those antennas to annoy the
neighbours! ;-)

I'm guessing that probably doesn't excite you too much, though, so
there's presumably at least some technical challenge there that makes it
interesting.

So, given some spectrum between lots of QSOs with no technical challenge
(MorseRunner, to take it to the extreme) and very few QSOs but very
significant technical challenge (24GHz and up where you essentially have
to build everything yourself, maybe?), there's obviously some point
along that gives you the best compromise for your own interests. Add in
a little variety to keep things interesting, and you find people doing a
bit of both sometimes, or concentrating on one rather than the other.

> Even so I
> quickly work the band out and then think what now?

You go back and find the guy in <insert rare multiplier> who's been only
S&Ping up until now, but just started calling CQ! I'm sure many of the
people we worked on Sunday morning of the 2m trophy were absolutely
workable on Saturday evening, yet we hadn't.

> I can also
> operate two bands at the same time on HF (SO2R) virtually all VHF+
> contests don't even enable me to work 2 bands at once so not much
> operator challenge.
Is there any reason you can't do SO2(or more)R on a single band on VHF?
Obviously you don't have full duplex (though maybe that would be an
interesting exercise in cavity building for ~200KHz split!), but
combining S&P and run at the same time could, I'm sure, give you plenty
to think about. Add in some SDR goodness and you can think of even more
possibilities to keep you busy...

Personally, I enjoy both VHF and HF contests - but they're hugely
different beasts! Running a pile-up of Americans on 20m at 3-400/hr in
CQWW demands sharp operating of one kind, but finding and working that
elusive multiplier on 2m, or realising there's just the hint of a lift
to EA that's worth flogging, is a completely different skillset. Both
are a challenge, both are rewarding when you get them right, but they're
nothing like each other.

I'm sure this hasn't convinced you that it's worth your while coming on
in a VHF contest - it wasn't designed to, and that's fine! It's just
meant to be an indication of why some people, albeit not everyone, do
find these strange bands where rates of 30/hr aren't too disastrous fun.

Cheers,
Rob, M0VFC