[UK-CONTEST] 144 MHz Trophy - lack of activity

Paul Gibson gibson.a.paul at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 13:16:36 PDT 2011

Having never posted here, bear with me....

When I passed my Novice exam in 1999 at the age of 16 I was very happy with
my self, but instantly frustrated as I had little interest in VHF, I wanted
to play on HF and talk to all the stations I'd been listening to for the
last few years on my 2nd hand £50 rx.

I then took the RAE in December of the same year and passed - again, very
pleased with my self - RAE @ 16 with no real encouragement (but much
support) from my parents made me proud, proudness did little to stiffle my
desire to get on HF, I simply had/have no interest in CW at all, much like
many of the people who will read this will have no interest in digi modes
(neither do I, despite having a more than an average interest in computers)
and would scream and cry if they had to pass an exam in digi modes to get on
HF....Yes CW gives advantages over SSB, but so do many digi modes.  This is
a hobby, and people should be allowed to enjoy it how they want, there is
absolutely no valid reason why someone who dislikes sending dits and dahs
should not be allowed to 4have a vocal or digital conversation on
frequencies below 50MHz.

I have a very thick tin hat on :)

Paul, M1dse