[UK-CONTEST] Is it time for contest sponsors to introduce an ident rule?

Roger Western g3sxw at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 1 08:50:03 PDT 2012

Frequency of sending one's own call-sign is designed to maximise contest
score. Licence conditions are irrelevant. My practice is pretty much that
described by Bob below. My overall rule of thumb may be simpler to enact:
send call-sign at least once per minute. Not sending your call can
theoretically speed up the QSO rate but leaving it longer than a minute or
so, in my experience, is self-defeating: it can lead to QRM on the frequency
("Call?") and duplicate contacts. It is also 'unsportsmanlike'.
73 de Roger/G3SXW.
(CQ Contest Hall of Fame, Nr 30, May 1998).