[UK-CONTEST] Why do UK stations not beam to OZ in UKAC ?

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 08:27:31 PDT 2012

David,

I think you do yourself an injustice.

I'm running 50w (FT-847 no pre-amp) to an 11 ele LFA at 13m AGL, 60m ASL,
and am 741km from Allan's contest site. I hear him 70% of sessions, albeit
weak and probably work him 40% of the time, on SSB. Yes I'm a bit nearer the
east coast than you in JO01FO, but only 9km nearer in a straight line.
Granted Allan's station is running QRO and large antennas, but that makes up
for my end of the QSO. Taking OZ out of the equation, there are many near
continent stations well within 500km of you. I don't know your QTH, so have
no idea of the topography and whether you are shielded towards Europe. It
would be more difficult to make a 750km contact within the UK, due to
activity and geography.

It seems you're telling yourself you won't make it before you try. There's
an awful lot of enhancement due to aircraft scatter over the North Sea, and
it can and does make up the difference. In fact I'd says 95% of contacts
over 200km are made using this mode in the UK, and not true tropo', the QSB
is far too rapid and uneven.

Accepted there won't be any mult' involved with European stations. But if we
carry on like this, they won't beam this way at all ; it's becoming
noticable already. That doesn't altogether matter in UKAC, but in bigger
contests it's a worrying trend.

73 Bob G8HGN