[UK-CONTEST] G4DEZ SK

Peter Walsh peterdwberkshire at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 15:10:39 PDT 2012

Really devastating news to hear of Bryn's passing he was a massive inspiration to me and many others. He got me into the hobby nearly 30 years ago, and in return I always sought his signal out on Tuesday evenings and when he entered the 24h weekend contests.  It just won't be the same.

I first met Bryn and his family as a teenager in the mid-1980's in Southend and remember helping his Mudhoppers contest group (G4BCH, G6CMS etc) in Great Wakering as G4DEZ/P then G4ZDA/P.  I served my contest apprenticeship writing out the duplicate log on large sheets of A3, before laptops came on the scene.

Also remember listening to his CW MS QSO's with his mono cassette recorder, dream machine FT-225RD and Tempo 6N2. We went on a number of adventures as the Midgedodgers group, to Colonsay and the Summer Islands to activate Scottish squares on VHF/HF.

A year or so ago I visited JO03AE. He actually moved there to activate what was a rare square, to benefit all of our logbooks. Great 360 degree take-off, you could see the sea to the East.

His garden was like VHF NFD!!  His station was the same, fantastic RX and a very reliable, strong, narrow TX.

He won pretty much every RSGB UK 6m/4m/2m/70cm contest and the VHF Championship for years and years - both before AND after the M5 rule change.
Bryn was the king of the VHF contest.  We should seek to remember him appropriately with a new contest trophy, a DEZ beacon  - he would have liked that.

Condolences to Shirley and his girls.

RIP Bryn!!!

Pete G1DFL