[UK-CONTEST] Penalties

Roger Western g3sxw at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 30 14:15:21 EDT 2012

Dave - surely that's statistically incorrect. With a three-times penalty for
Busted QSOs there will be three times the likelihood of losing a table rank
order than if QSOs are simply removed. Not everyone has the same number of
Busted QSOs.

The concept of penalising, not just removing, is widely accepted in contests
around the world. Without it you simply encourage log-padding: "Well, I
think he came back to me so I will log it just in case". As others have said
surely we should encourage self-improvement (accurate operating), not
encourage semi-cheating.
73 de Roger/g3SXW.