[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 116, Issue 44

Trevor . m5aka at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 08:32:48 EDT 2012

> Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:49:48 +0100 "Steve White" <g3zvw at talktalk.net>
> 2012: 78400 (23% more than 2007)

Steve those figures are meaningless. They include amateurs who've died in the past 6 years (600 a year?) and everyone who's dropped out of the hobby during that time.

Furthermore they include the many thousands of radio amateurs who hold multiple call signs. Some enterprising amateurs have in the past managed to build up a collection of as many as 5 concurrent UK call signs (class A, Class A/B, Class B, Intermediate, Foundation). Over 3,600 Full Class B's took out Foundation licences in 2002/3 to get on HF, most kept renewing their Foundation after 2003 as they'd had the pick of the best M3 call signs so got call letters significant to them.

We'll get a better picture in 2013 when the licences issued to all amateurs December 2006 are due to be renewed. A drop to 40,000 wouldn't surprise me even then they'll still be some multiple licences in the totals as I know of those who've already renewed in advance to ensure they could keep their multiple call collection intact for five more years at least.

73 Trevor M5AKA