[UK-CONTEST] Coaxial Connectors

Chris Tran GM3WOJ zl1ct1 at gm7v.com
Sat Feb 4 05:40:02 PST 2012

Hello all

I've been driven inside by heavy rain, so here is my 50p worth about coax
connectors...

There are different qualities of 'pressure seal' PL259 plugs - some poorer
quality ones have thin metal for the threaded ring that tightens onto the
socket and if you over-tighten them they fall apart - the threaded ring
separates from the body of the plug.

Despite the official power rating of N-types being 5kW, some well-respected
websites indicate that, from experience, they should not be used above 1kW -
the centre pin is inadequate. Assuming 50 ohms, 400W = 2.8A, 1500W = 5.5A,
10kW = 14.1A

I remember BBC antenna expert Mark GM4ISM telling me years ago that, if
correctly fitted and terminated, a PL259 was good for 10kW.   (intermittent
service I assume!)

73
Chris
GM3WOJ