[UK-CONTEST] Coil calculator (and other stuff)

David Gould dave at g3ueg.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 06:57:44 PST 2012

There have been several postings in the past asking about coil calculators.

For many years I have used the program  "coil.exe"  from Brian
Beasley K6STI, and have in fact referred several people to it.

While browsing, I have just come across this
site    www.hamwaves.com  it seems to have a lot of interesting
material, including an "RF Inductance Calculator"  (about half way
down the middle column on the homepage)
http://www.hamwaves.com/antennas/inductance.html
In this section he maintains that the  "coil.exe"  program was based
on flawed equations, and that his calculator gives much better
results. I have just done a comparison and the calculated results are
quite different.

To anyone who uses  "coil.exe"  you might want to look at this
alternative calculator..

If anyone with a VNA can do accurate measurements of some existing
coils and compare to the two calculators the results might be interesting..

73,
Dave, G3UEG