[UK-CONTEST] G4PIQ - 1st RSGB 1.8 MHz Contest Report

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 13 10:20:28 PST 2012

Below is my summary from Saturday night. The PACC event really makes up the
numbers here - 62 of my QSOs were with PA stations. Activity other than from
the PACC event was really quite poor. This is the first time that I've done
the new mixed mode format - I thought that it made the contest more
interesting given the poor activity levels. However, I'm disappointed that I
didn't work the band dry. I've no idea how I missed Stewart, GM4AFF
completely, and as soon as the contest was over, I tuned across PA1T who I'd
missed on CW.

Like Chris, SJJ, I claim that my low-ish dipole is not competitive enough. I
was not 'skimmed' in the US at all and I only worked VE1ZZ and VY2ZM outside
Europe. However, Justin, G4TSH, just up the road from me, and with only a
slightly higher dipole, was able to work the US and hit the skimmers. The
difference maybe that his Inv-V was end-on to the US, giving some low angle
to the US, while mine is broadside. I'd hoped to do something better on the
antenna front, but other commitments got in the way so I didn't even confirm
I could do the event at all until about 90 mins before the off, and I was
then out in the dark linking the 160m extensions on the dipole and trying to
avoid it getting caught in the trees, and I was (again) changing a filter
cap in the PA just before the off - I really must find the couple of hours
to change them all.

Rig : K3/100, Ten Tec Titan (CW). 32/400W. Inv-V dipole, top @ 65ft.

 MODE   QSO DUP DXC  DIST  POINTS   AVG

   CW   145   0  18    43     740  5.10