[UK-CONTEST] Skimmer mis-reporting

Stewart Rolfe gw0etf at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 21 09:25:16 PST 2012

Barry,
I've had some in-depth feedback from GI0NWG (who was an op at W3LPL) and GW8IZR on this and the conclusion is that it's largely down to my habit of interspersing PC sent CQs with hand sending. The skimmer software is unforgiving of less than perfect timing and can result in this type of mis-copy. Short contest calls seem more prone than full calls and I'm thinking I may stick to my own call which I feel more relaxed with.
I've looked at the RBN download files and I also found GW6WGW which is also classic mis-copy. Also looked at the data for previous contests using GW6W and found the same patterns there too, so I either stick to 100% PC sending or use own call to avoid confusion to those relying on skimmers for finding their prey. Damn it....it's like having CCTV checking up on your every mistake, you can't get away with anything!
73,
Stewart, GW0ETF