[UK-CONTEST] Reflections

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 26 13:34:06 PST 2012

John,

The reflections come from the airframe at least that's all that 23 or
3cm primary radars see,
Watson Watt's 1935 experiment used a lumbering Hayford, that wouldn't
have left much of a trail!

However...An interesting idea, it does at times seem to me that at VHF
the reflected path does not always decay as soon as an aircraft has
passed, when you think about it a 'heavy' jet generates disturbed volume
in the atmosphere whether or not there are any visible trails.

I see that some wind shear radars operate at low VHF like the 64MHz one
up in the Hebrides (&  54 MHz elsewhere) but these do run real QRO  like
100kW peak power (ERP?) see: www.atrad.co.au/node/12/hebrides.

If (when?) Eyjafjallajokull  blows its top again (assuming there's
another 'grounding' panic) perhaps a VHF contest could be quickly
arranged to see if there's any significant difference to what's worked
compared to 'Normal' conditions (whatever they are).

There's still quite a lot that we (or at least I) don't understand about
the anomalies of V/UHF propagation much of which really only seems to
show up in contests perhaps that's because these days there's so little
activity the rest of the time. Sadly so many stations are only ever
heard either during contests or when there might be an opening.

73...

Ken

G3LVP

Message: 2