[UK-CONTEST] Amplifier Advice Please.

Christopher Plummer plummerc42 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:58:29 PST 2012

Guys,

My experience with liears as below:-

VHF
1. Linear Amp UK, various tube type ones on 4m, 6m, and 2m. Not too badly made , slightly better since the crowd in Reading took over design and manufacture, runs well under contest conditions and fairly well protected.
2. BECO  superb built quality and performance, cannot fault in contest conditions, only niggle is fan noise, so put a bit further away from microphone.
3. Telecom, nowhere near suitably protected, very high noise from fans.  Not even my third choice amp.

HF/6m
1. Ameritron AL1500, no 6m coverage, and has flashed over a couple of times in contests causing loosening of sphincter, fan noise not too bad, fairly reliable in full contest mode even with 100% duty cycle RTTY
2. ACOM 1000 , inc 6m coverage, rock steady protection and good steady performance on aqll HF bands and 6m, fan almost silent, deffinately the first choice in my shack
3. MFJ/Ameritrom 500w Transistor mobile amp, no 6m coverage, but not really tried this out in the UK.
4. Alpha tube automatic band switching, used one of these the 8900 while I was in Canada, very nice amp.
5. ACOM 2000, friends and contest groups use these (under-run of course in the UK) fairly steady and also auto band switching with remote monitoring head.  Quiet yes but no 6m coverage (two tubes so anode capaity too big to tune to 6m)

If your budget stretches that far go for ACOM 1000 for HF (has the advantage of 6m coverage) and BECO amps for VHF.

Thats my two penny worth anyway.

73 de Chris G8APB