[UK-CONTEST] BARTG RTTY Sprint

dave daveg3tbk at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 25 03:41:06 PST 2012

Chris,

Reference the use of Short Contest Calls.

Note that the RSGB Rules for the HF Championship say that only SCC's
issued to individuals count in the Championship and that those issued to
Clubs may NOT be used.

Also, the only RSGB Contest in which a Short Contest Call may be used is
the IOTA event.

The Championship Rules do not indicate whether a station which uses an
SCC in IOTA (and possibly a BARTG event) can add the Points scored to
those obtained in other events using their normal call-sign. I know I
can't count those I score when operating in BERU from J88DR!

Possibly the HFCC could clarify this and whether the NoV does cover the
BARTG Sprint before the weekend please ?

73's  Dave G3TBK / M7W

/Jim,

Ofcom are not specific with regards to BARTG contests, they mention
'BARTG RTTY' in the list of contests where the short callsigns can be used.

 >From BARTGs viewpoint, if you want to use the short call then go
ahead, you will not be penalised.  Also as the Sprint and HF contests
are included in the RSGB HF championship lists then by inference they
also condone the use of the short calls for this weekends BARG contest.
When you took out the G#X callsign you committed to take part in a
minimum number of contests from the list (5 in 3 years I think it is) so
this would count towards that requirement, but then I don't know if they
are checking apart from the declaration when applying for the call.

So its up to you, no one is going to stop you.  The only problem is that
you may get slowed down by contacts asking for repeats of your call
thinking that they missed the other suffix letters.

Remember BARTG issue certificates and trophies for section winners in
their contests, and contest logs can be used to apply for one of the
many awards from BARTG.  (Sales pitch SORRY) See website
www.BARTG.org.uk for details of awards and how to apply without the need
to send in QSL cards.

73 de Chris G8APB
BARTG Awards Manager/