[UK-CONTEST] Amplifier Advice ACOM 2000's

David g3yyd at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 26 03:07:47 PST 2012

Ian

I agree with you also about RX performance. I would not like to be running a
FT857 in a major contest (I use one in the car) its close in performance is
terrible makes a perfect transmission a wide one due to its inadequate
dynamic range. Many RXs in use are of similar inadequate performance to the
FT817/FT857/897 series in a strong signal environment. Even the FT1000MP has
inadequate close in dynamic range and in RTTY and CW contests I used to hear
phantom signals created by intermodulation products of multiple contest
signals.

It is for this reason that a significant number of major contesters now use
the Elecraft K3. If you hear a wide signal on a K3 it is the TX that is the
problem. Also the K3 PA IMD is around -40dB below PEP at 100 watts and lower
at 40-50 watts. Most popular rigs are -30dB or worse.

The cause of wide signals using FSK is inadequate filtering of the TX
signal.

73 David