[UK-CONTEST] 5NN

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 05:25:04 PDT 2012

Ken,

Apart from 4M, 2M has also been suffering from this lately with the ES
openings, as it does every year.

It's natural to listen or call on 144.300 as that's where anyone looking for
DX will be listening or calling initially.

However there are those out there that have no idea what ES is and don't
seem to listen to what the callers is saying or asking for e.g. CQ ES or CQ
Sporadic, and call for a local QSO. Local is relative, but something you'd
work under normal conditions. You then get locals calling stations looking
for DX, and stations looking for DX going QRZ every few minutes thinking the
local is DX!! It's a mess.

Personally I think it's about time we had a DX calling frequency and a local
centre of activity to seperate out these two in these situations. So when
the sporadic is about the two won't mix hopefully. Where you put both is up
to debate, but at present it's a mess and stations are loosing QSO's due to
the calling and over calling. Spreading out is partly a cure, with the high
signal strengths of both caller and called  staying on 144.300 is not the
best option.

As for VHF NFD I'll be active looking for DX, and giving a few points away
over most of Saturday and the end on Sunday. As for reports I'll copy what's
sent and send what I believe is the correct one in my opinion.

73

 Bob G8HGN