[UK-CONTEST] IOTA 2012

Chris G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 30 14:12:00 PDT 2012

Bernie, reference your comment re 80m QSOs outside the contest sub-band on 80m. I am no longer on the contest committee but offer a few thoughts. I
suspect without you submitting a list of actual offenders the committee would be powerless to police this rule and I doubt whether they would have
observers around the world to constantly monitor all the sub bands. Cabrillo does log the frequency against each QSO but with over 2000 logs submitted
I don't think the adjudicators would have the time to check each one to see if any sub bands had been ignored. I any case, anyone who knew they had
breached the rules or who read this thread could easily adjust the QRG in their Cabrillo file!

I seem to recall on our last outing as GU8D in 2005 we heard MD4K moving stations initially to 14305 so sub-band abuse has been around for a while and
no doubt will continue by many stations across the world in many contests. Have a listen to CQWW later in the year!

I think its more a case of the rule being included to appease non/anti contesters rather than being actually useful and enforced.

73 Chris G3SJJ