[UK-CONTEST] Is it time for contest sponsors to introduce an ident rule?

Dave H davekh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 02:00:26 PDT 2012

Lack of Id'ing always annoys me because, operating unnasisted and S & P I
can feel my time being eaten away waiting and waiting - and end up giving
up hoping to come back and find them IDing later. Often condx has changed
and they've gone. I'm just an ordinary small-station <100watt entrant - do
my views still count alongside the tech heavy stations/enthusiasts?

I try to get some feeling to who is where on the band for periods of the
contest - then someone interesting pops-up and their joy of a queue of
people waiting to work them seems to lose them the need to ID for ages. I
sometimes hear people work them and then ask for callsign - which is doable
but never feels right (and request is often ignored to move to next Q).
Perhaps if lots of people do that they might review after and notice lots
of dupes and re-consider their behaviour - weighing up losses due to dupes
compared to the no-id periods where they save time.

I just enjoy going on working as many as possible and comparing my
year-on-year logs to see how I'm doing (during and after the contest)  - I
don't use scammer or sinner or whatever it is - though I've no particular
view on their use.

I just like to take part and learn and enjoy it. I learned this year that
my Cushcraft R5 is not very good on 15m - a huge branch off a tree twice
its height came down and whacked it late last year. I had an inverted L
wire which wasn't high enough really  but was useful for EU continental
contacts - the R5 was better for DX but wasn't working well. and I really
really need to sort something for LF end.

- I suspect my efforts this year were slightly down on past years.
--
73s Dave H
G0CER - KJ4QAO (now with added 'Extra' class)