[UK-CONTEST] Is it time for contest sponsors to introduce anident rule?

Edmund Holt eh at eholt.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 11:38:54 PDT 2012

I send my call at the end of every QSO when running, it's built into my operating programme so no exceptions. Several times in the IOTA, being in EU009 I got a pile up, why was it necessary when I was picking out and working a weak station, like a JA, did some strong (local) stations find it necessary to send "CALL CALL"? all they had to do was listen to the end of each and every QSO and there it was, automatically.

This also happened, the other station sends me back my call as GM0WEB instead of GM0WED, I try to be kind and send such as NO GM0WED WED WED GM0WED QSL? It is only then when the other operator sends back "R R GM0WEB" that I think Oh s*d it! and give up. Why the suggestion that I should lose a point for his continuing to bust my call, particularly if it is caused by some twit sending "CALL CALL" over the top of me sending my correct call?

Working QSK, several first-time contact stations sent me back "TU" whilst I was sending the EU009 part of the exchange.  I don't think I am that well known that the amateur world that all know I'm in EU009 not 005; I suspect I am logged in at least a dozen logs as EU005. So what of this suggestion that I should lose a point 'cos the other operator doesn't wait to hear which of the GM IOTAs I am in and busts the exchange.

Still such is life until the computer completely takes over the hobby from us and runs the contest whilst the mortals are writing on the internet whingeing about it.
Ed--GM0WED
Sent from a mobile device.