[UK-CONTEST] NFD G4OGB/P

Derek Thom g3nks at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 06:02:52 PDT 2012

The Cheltenham club (G5BK) may not be in the top league but neither are we
in the "casual BBQ" category.  We plan ahead, trying to improve on previous
years' results, and tackle the contest with enthusiasm and a good degree of
seriousness.  However we are a true club entry so we "allow" any reasonable
contest operator to take part and indeed we try to encourage new blood to
provide for the future.  If the highly competitive groups go elsewhere then
that's good news for us - we will then stand a better chance of winning!!

For the record we made 964 valid QSOs and are claiming nearly 3,500 points.
Our QSO total was up by 100 this year but the claimed score only up
marginally because of fewer QSOs on 160m and 10m (where there is a x2 bonus)
in spite of much trying.  160m was marred by very heavy static necessitating
many repeats and on 10m the Sp-E openings were poor, of short duration and
infrequent.  Activity from the UK did appear to be down this year.

The weather was dry for the setting up, it rained very heavily late Saturday
afternoon and into the evening, rained on and off Sunday morning and then we
were treated to another heavy downpour at packing-up time!

No real problems although we had to abandon my IC756proII before the start
because of severe BC intermod problems on 160m (anyone else had this problem
with this rig, or is mine faulty in some way?) and so had to use the spare
TS850 which had been brought along.

We had a 265ft inverted vee doublet at 11m in the centre and a sloping
dipole for 10m.  We used an SG-230 auto-tuner and on a majority decision
used N1MM (with which I need more practice, being much more familiar with
SD).

Ops were G3LVP, G3MZV, G3NKS, G4ENA and G0ECJ.

It was good fun, we enjoyed the weekend in spite of the weather and plan to
be back next year.

Derek G3NKS