[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 6m CW Contest 2012

John Lemay john at carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 11:50:29 PDT 2012

Thank goodness, conditions improved, somewhat. From the moment I sent my
original message, sporadic E appeared, umm, sporadically from place to place
throughout the contest. It was a bit of a lottery as to who worked what and
I know there were some stations who were not favoured with propagation at
all during the three hours.

Six meters is a band I can take or leave, and I have almost never used my
amplifier but today I decided to run 400w. I was cautious that I might
become an "alligator". Maybe I was, but there were some stations who still
could not hear me.

DX included (it's all relative) ZB, CN, EA, 9H and I.

54 qso's is a little adrift from my self inflicted target, but enough to
make it interesting right up to the end. VHFCC, keep this one in the
calendar !

The 6m contest was followed by a 4m Cumulative in the afternoon. I don't
know why these two needed to be on the same day, when next weekend looks
clear of VHF contests. There was Es on the 4m test as well, with contacts
for me into EA, EA6, and I, plus tropo to ON, PA and LX. The LX was a real
struggle, and given their 10w ERP limit, I fail to understand was my 150w
was so weak on his side, I had no difficulty with his signal. There was
sporadic to EA8 too, but not from here.

Regards

John G4ZTR

  _____