[UK-CONTEST] UBNs - ARRL DX CW

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Jun 26 10:14:58 PDT 2012

On 26/06/2012 16:07, Tony G4NBS wrote:

> Maybe thats the reason we still exchange proper reports on VHF. At least you
> know when a QSO is real or not....

A "real" QSO is, generally, the two-way on-air
exchange and acknowledgement of callsigns.

In contest QSOs, it's not always necessary to
exchange both callsigns - when, for example,
you call a running station, you give only your
own callsign.

As for reports, there's no such thing as a
"proper report".  They are all subjective,
depending on such factors as power, antennas,
receiver sensitivity, propagation, and whether
you're feeling generous or want to please, or
annoy, the other station.

That's one reason why no reports whatsoever are
required on QSLs for ARRL awards, including DXCC
on VHF. When QSOs are submitted to LOTW, reports,
if any, are discarded.  In ARRL DX, RSTs are not
cross-checked - they are simply redundant.

To anyone who feels better, or superior, by
giving a "proper report" in contests, I say
go ahead - I log only 59(9) when I know the
contest onganisers don't care.   :-)

It seems to me the only reports with any value
are comparitive reports, such as those provided
by the Reverse Beacon Network - showing the
signal to noise ratio in decibels at the
receiving site.

73,
Paul EI5DI