[UK-CONTEST] REAL REPORTS ?

Steve Knowles g3ufy at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 14:50:05 PDT 2012

Hello, Alex.

Guess I must have missed your previous post(s) - pressure of work keeps me
away from the shack more than I would like at the moment.

I adjudicate the 80mCC CW legs, but the SSB and DATA legs are dealt with in
the same way.

The answer is "The Robot doesn't look at anything.  It receives the logs,
checks them for formatting and possible errors and then makes them available
to the adjudication software (affectionately known as ADJ) ... and that most
definitely does look!"  Amongst a whole lot of other things, ADJ flags any
mismatches in RS(T) for the adjudicator to investigate.

ADJ just points out the problems.  There is a general presumption that what
the sending station logs is correct, but this is not a cast iron rule and
it's always the adjudicator who makes the decision whether to penalise or
not, bringing his/her knowledge and experience into play.  For (a very
simple) example - if you've sent 59 to every contact in every event for the
last 3 years and you suddenly show a 55, copied as a 59, the adjudicator
might well not be convinced and decide not to penalise the receiver.  On the
other hand, if you were 9J2BO or G3JKY (who ALWAYS send real reports) ......

As for signing /P - no problem ... awkward is good stuff, provided you do it
for every QSO in the event.  However, if you aren't consistent (even if you
don't send in a log) ADJ will know, alert the adjudicator and stations not
copying your call correctly will not be penalised.

Vy 73

Steve  G3UFY