[UK-CONTEST] ARRL SSB

David Cree daveg3tbk at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 05:35:33 PST 2012

Once again I was able to enter this event from the Caribbean. I had no
choice but to enter in the Low Power category following the destruction
of my old linear (which I store here) by termites.

  Band    QSOs    Pts  	States/Provinces
    3.5     355    1065   49
      7     590    1770   55
     14    1288    3864   59
     21    1298    3894   57
     28    1419    4257   55
  Total    4950   14850  275

Score: 4,083,750

Operating time: 36 hours

Small increase in QSO total over last year, but multipliers were down
slightly, so claimed score a fraction lower.
However I was pleased to finish with my highest ever single-op QSO
total. Can't imagine how some single-ops manage 40+ hours of operating.
Certainly impossible for an old-age pensioner like me!

Very strange LF condx on Friday night, with only a handful of stations
heard. In retrospect I would have done better to have had a good sleep!
St. Vincent had very severe rain storms over the last few days, which
only relented on Sunday - these probably contributed to the poor 80m
condx as static levels were high.

Ten meters was good both days, although the opening at any time was
localised. Fortunately the favoured States changed as the hours ticked by.

Rig Icom IC-7000, 100 Watts. Antennas A3S and dipoles.

As usual the quality of State-side signals was very good - but there
were a very small number of exceptions. 3 or 4 very strong signals on
10m were almost unreadable - either due to being severely over-driven,
over compressed or suffering RF Feedback - or likely all three together!

Judging by the sudden huge pile-ups I have to assume that the majority
of stations are using assistance. This was born out by the way I was
suddenly called for lots of dupe contacts at times.

In summary, a fun weekend and I hope to do it all again next time if my
XYL renews my pass-out!

73 Dave J88DR / G3TBK