[UK-CONTEST] Data contest - apologies

Robin Thompson robin at g3tkf.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 12:39:23 PST 2012

Interesting comments from both re Data.

To be honest, I have not really found any advantage in using narrow filters
during an 80m Data contest .  In fact to be able to see many stations at
once can be a big plus. I am probably lucky in not having any really loud
local stations that might change my views on this.
I only ever use AFSK for both modes, and from past experience with the
oddities of MixW logging and macros (grrrr!) I have stuck with N1MM and
MMvari - ESM is wonderful!
I also found that conditions were pretty dire for psk but stayed with it for
the first half, I guessed phase problems might get worse in the latter part
of the contest. They did indeed appear to do that in the S.West.
I have only recently discovered the delights of using dual receivers and
VFOs on the FT1000D for Data contesting . Being able to run, and then
quickly hop off to S&P in either mode if necessary, is really useful.
I must apologise for my operating in the Data contest before last, as I had
not really discovered the full implications of having AFC activated -
suddenly finding I was calling CQ on top
of another station having jumped frequency without being aware of it
...whoopps!

73
Robin
G3TKF
City of Bath
FT1000D/ Dipole at 50ft /MMvari/microHAM MKII

The
> reason is that 80m suffers form a lot of multipath propagation and Doppler
> shift. The result of this is that the phase of any signal can change very
quickly
> in fact so fast that PSK31 becomes useless as it relies on the phase on
the
> incoming signal being reasonably stable over one bit time (32
milliseconds). I
> suspect this is what you were really suffering from.
>
> You would have found that RTTY on the other hand is a different kettle of
> fish. This relies on frequency shift rather than phase shift. Phase change
does
> not make a lot of difference to FSK. What destroys FSK using MMTTY is
> multipath causing one of the tones to disappear (selective QSB) and this
does
> happen. It is a implementation failing of MMTTY as it is possible to copy
on
> just one tone. The other thing that rarely destroys FSK is multipath with
very
> long propagation delays causing the signal to be overlaid but later. If
this
> delay reaches about 10milliseconds or more and is about the same strength
> as the main signal then it can and does confuse FSK decode.
>
> The sound card in your laptop unless it has gone faulty, which I very much
> doubt, is perfect for these modes. There is no need to use an external
one.
> The only reason to use an interface box of some sort between your rig and
> the FT1KMP is to reduce the amplitude of the audio out to the correct
level
> and if you have a problem remove hum loops by the use of small
> transformers.
> However do not put small transformers near any power supplies especially
> linear ones as the mains transformer magnetic field could make things
> interesting.
>
> I used to use a FT1KMP and I found that for RTTY the ideal mark tone
> frequency was 990Hz when using the two 250Hz xtal filters on the SSB mode.
> This was with the shift centred. Your optimum frequency may be slightly
> different as it depends on the individual filters. PSK optimum was 900 to
> 910Hz. I found a lower frequency is useful as it makes tuning in by ear
easier.
> However do not overdrive the rig as on FSK you will create audio harmonics
> with QRM to other band users. On PSK also get IMD products (make sure the
> processor is off and no ALC indicated).
>
> 73 David G3YYD

I'd