[UK-CONTEST] QRP

Christopher Plummer plummerc42 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:52:37 PST 2012

Ken,

I normally use a MFJ antenna anlyser as a calibration (rough) source when out at the start of a 160m DF hunt to make sure the RX is working and tuned to the right frequencies.  This is done with a dummy load screwed in to the output socket, everyone onsite can hear the signal from S9 at 1m out to 20m away..  just shows that the case and dummy load radiate as well.

Some years ago a friend of mine, G3SCJ, loaded up a 6' flourescent tube on 10m from a KW 2000 and worked a number of Stateside contacts S 6 to 9.  It was interesting to see tube light up and the striations travel up and down the tube as he spoke..... I suppose it gave as good a signal as a magnetic loop these days, goodness knows what the impedance was though.

Chris G8APB