[VHFcontesting] Re: VHFcontesting digest, Vol 1 #8 - 6 msgs

Fred Lass fredlass at global2000.net
Fri Jul 27 23:48:21 EDT 2001

> Hi Dave;

In my experience you need two basic antennas, one high angle for short
sporadic-E/nearby meteor scatter, and one low angle for ground wave/long one hop
sporadic-E/long meteor scatter.  Two hop sporadic-E may peak on either antenna
depending on the location of the clouds that day.  My favorite antenna for high angle
is a pair at about 20'/40'.  This gives maximum ground gain for the less than 1000 mile
paths.  You may do the math yourself if you assume that the height of a typical
sporadic-E cloud is 50-60 miles up.  The low angle antenna depends on your preference
of stacks vs long booms.  My preference is as used on Greylock, 4/4/4/4.  The upper two
rotate simultaneously, and the lower two on a side mount rotor.  The ULB box can select
upper 4/4 or lower 4/4.  There is little to be gained from stacking all 4 except for
angle diversity.  However, on Greylock the 4/4/4/4 tends to minimize line noise
eminating from the nearby valley.

As a matter of information there is nearly no ground gain available in useful
directions on Greylock from the location  that we are allowed to set-up.

73,  Fred  (K2TR)