[VHFcontesting] WSJT/HSCW in VHF Contests

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 2 17:17:59 EDT 2001

WSJT is a fun mode and has its place. But I agree with Dave KM3T that the
established ARRL VHF contests should use the "human ear" for "detection."
One of the reasons I operate VHF contests is for the challenge and catching
rare openings. If the QSOs are "too easy" or do not require an opening, then
for me it takes away some of what makes the current VHF contests special. I
support having a new contest(s) just for WSJT.

- Jon N0JK

>>I for one would not welcome that
>>day as I think it would remove most of the fun and make the results
>>less dependent on operator skill, but rather how well you can program
>>your DSP.  I feel the basic thing that makes ham radio interesting
>>compared to just sending e-mail is putting on your headphones and
>>listening.

>I'm familiar with HSCW and WSJT but have personally not operated either
mode.  I look forward to trying both, from a technical and fun
perspective.  But, for contesting, I fall in the camp who believes using
the human ear for detection ought to be the way to go....

I certainly could see a separate, short contest (like a HSCW or WSJT
Sprint) which could be fun and allow interested folks to compete.  But I
would not want to see the existing VHF contests changed.  One of the
problems I could see is a substantial shift to these modes, caused by the
natural competitive desire to work more grids, which could take activity
away from the more traditional modes, making those not inclined to use the
new modes lose interest due to decling activity.  We do have to do
something to increase contest activity, but I'm not sure these new modes
is the best route to that goal.

73,
Dave KM3T