[VHFcontesting] Re: Sept Contest Summary for K1WHS

DAVID C. OLEAN k1whs at worldpath.net
Tue Sep 11 22:03:18 EDT 2001

> A report from Maine in Northern New England and K1WHS:
>     The totals, subject to change as we look over the logs are as
> follows:
>
> Band        QSOS        Grids
> 50              506            69
> 144            541            71
> 222            156            49
> 432            239            48
> 903             67             30
> 1296           88             31
> 2304           46             24
> 3456           32             23
> 5760           29             20
> 10368         29             17
> 24 GHz        1                1
>                  1734         383   final score will be around 1.09
> megapoints.

    We were operating as a multi op unlimited and were on all the bands. The
QTH was my home location in Maine a half mile behind my house. We did a
bunch of work to the station in preparation for the weekend, and were
greeted by phenomenal propagation that began at sunset Saturday and really
never quit thru to Sunday night. There was still some enhancement on Sunday
afternoon to the high hills along the Appalachains. On Sunday night, things
were up to Ontario and Ohio on the bottom bands at least.
    We worked W3IY rover in Virginia from 50 thru 10 GHz!! Also worked K8GP
up through 5760. We missed on 10 GHz due to an erratic crystal frequency in
our rig. He was plenty loud on 5760! We had no idea where our frequency
would drift as things heated and cooled. It was awful!  The grid totals are
so far up compared to what we normally can work, that we are all still
looking in disbelief!!  We had 24 GHz narrowband equipment setup, but
through a bunch of mis steps and stuff out of our control, never made a
contact with it! Too bad, and better luck next time! Our only 24 GHz QSO was
with a set of gunnplexers!
    Ops were: W1MRQ, K1BX, K1DY, K1TOL, K1WHS, W2PED,  N2CEI, K7KX,and
WA8WZG. In addition we had WA1T drop by for a few hours and did some
operating as well.  We all had a blast. Chef Monte, N1LBI served grilled
swordfish on Saturday night and great fare all weekend!  Wx was quite hot.
We ran off emergency power with a 30 kw generator that we recently fixed up
and it worked flawlessly. We had better power than I get from Central Maine
Power Co!

73
Dave K1WHS