[VHFcontesting] Re: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ

Bob Johnson rjohnson at tmlp.com
Thu Jan 17 12:30:00 EST 2002

At 02:16 PM 01/12/02 , you wrote:

>Matt,
>
>This option of NCJ vs QST has been discussed from time-to-time by the BoD
>but makes no sense for the following reasons:
>
>1) advertising $$$ for the ARRL is driven by the number of copies of QST
>being mailed each month.  You split the membership between two rags and the
>ad $$$ would drop like a rock.

Actually it is 3 rags, don't forget QEX/CQ Communication Quarterly !!!  I
think
the League could stand to dump both publications, recoup the publishing costs,
and gain advertising $$$ by increasing QST circulation.  This would mean
having
to increase the content QST to keep the readership from NCJ & QEX.

>2) QST costs the ARRL nothing.  Not one single dime.  Why?  The ad revenues
>cover the costs (plus or minus some pocket change according to Director
>Bellows--see a previous post).

That has always been my understanding thru the years !!!

>3) 100% of the subscription price is used for member services--the lab,
>contest admin, QSL bureau, legislative actions, FCC support, etc.

Increase circulation and there are more $$$ for the needed work.  If the
readership becomes alienated and we lose membership we start to implode.

>4) NCJ is actually a loss for the ARRL.  The league supports the NCJ out of
>general funds (QST subscriptions/membership dues.  Giving away more copies
>is an expensive option.

Then just get rid of it and use the funds to expand QST. The same for QEX/CQ
Communication Quarterly

73 Bob, K1VU