[VHFcontesting] QST and contests

Bob Johnson rjohnson at tmlp.com
Thu Jan 17 13:33:51 EST 2002

Hi Ken and all of the members of this list.

First of all, TIME IS SHORT, the BoD meets this weekend !!!!  If you are going
to contact anyone, DO it TODAY !!!  I will post a list of e-mail addresses for
Dave Sumner, Directors, and Vice Directors in another message.

In the past it always seemed to be the VHF/UHF community that paid the price,
this time the HF community will be hit also.

What Ken has said it true as best as anyone can determin.  This whole thing
got
out by acccident !!! I have reposted some of my replies to messages from the
CQ-contest list to this list.

To many times in the past the membership has felt that a decision has already
been made and the BOD just "Rubber Stamps" it make it official.  Always seemed
to remind me of "Boss Tweed, Tammany Hall" school of politics or the
Massachusetts Legislature that likes to pass unpopular laws in the "Dark of
Night" just before closing the session to go on break.  I'm not saying that is
the case, maybe just a perception that has been formed over the last 31 years
of League membership !!
73 es FIGHT
Bob, K1VU

At 03:05 PM 01/14/02 , you wrote:
>    I'm surprised that I haven't seen any discussion of this here.
>In case any VHF contesters are still unaware, a proposal has been
>made and will be discussed at the next ARRL Board of Directors meeting,
>to radically change and reduce the content of QST.  Specifically,
>Section News may be eliminated and contest score reporting may be
>eliminated.  The proposal suggests that contest line scores be
>published only on the ARRLWeb, and that the only things you'll see
>in QST are "top ten" boxes and the like.  In VHF contesting, this
>means New England stations will receive almost all of the press.
>Small contests like the UHF contest, 10 GHz, and the EME contest might
>be in jeapordy entirely.
>
>    ARRL HQ is apparently treating this as a done deal - the QST editorial
>staff has apparently been preparing for it for some time.  The HF contest
>community certainly only discovered it by accident.  The Contest Advisory
>Committee was never asked to comment on this proposal, nor was the Membership
>Services Committee involved.
>
>    There have been _many_ posts regarding this on the CQ-Contest reflector
>(<http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/200201/>http://lists.contesting.
com/_cq-contest/200201/).

>    If you think eliminating contest results in QST and putting line scores
>only on the ARRLWeb just so the League can publish more articles about
>"Messy Shack Contests" and "How to Build Your Own PC" is the wrong direction
>for the ARRL and QST to be headed, you need to write your ARRL Division
>Director: (<http://www.arrl.org/divisions/>http://www.arrl.org/divisions/).
You don't even need to use
>a stamp - they all have email addresses.  And you need to do it this week,
>before the BoD (I think it's this Friday.)
>
>--
>Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
>University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
>Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
>Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops
>Austin, TX 78712-1188 USA
<http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/>http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/khar
ker/