[VHFcontesting] In Support! [was: Fw: SM reports and contest results in QST]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Mon Jan 21 14:29:56 EST 2002

Tim Marek wrote:

> Received this Morning RE: No Longer Carring Contest Reslults In QST..

> > Our editors are asking to publish "special interest" information on the
> Web
> > site so that QST can be a better general interest magazine and be
> published
> > more economically. Section News and contest line listings consume 176
> pages
> > per year, enough to fill an entire issue. The marginal cost of publishing
> > this information in QST is about $100,000 a year (not including mailing).

I am in support of the ARRL proposal to eliminate *detailed* contest results
from QST provided:

o The $100,000 per year would be publicly reallocated to a project that
  furthers the interests of our hobby:
  - Amateur Radio in Education Program
  - Technology mini-grants to support the development and deployment
    of interesting and cutting edge uses of our existing spectrum
  - etc.

o QST would still print a single page-face recap of each event with
  interesting statistics and comments from some of the participants.

Contesting is a Radio Sport.  Sports are an important life-blood of
enthusiasm to any hobby.  The above is what I would consider a fairly good
compromise, with significant benefit.

Of course, my opinion and $0.99 gets you a big gulp at the corner
mini-market. :o)

Kind Regards,
Ev Tupis,W2EV