[VHFcontesting] January ARRL SS and rovers

Eugene Zimmerman ezimmerm at erols.com
Tue Jan 22 20:47:33 EST 2002

Dave

Surprisingly the strategy on the right coast is not much different than on
the left coast.  The key to winning is still working all the rovers on every
band they have.  It is just more difficult to concentrate on the rovers when
there is volume to be worked in the high population areas.  But you ignore
the rovers at your peril.

One other point a propos of finishing 13th nationally in class.  There have
been superb efforts in many classes from both the left coast and the middle
of the country.  The N6RMJ multi/multi and K7XC/R come immediately to mind
for the former and K9PW S/O, AA9D M/M and many rovers in the midwest for the
latter.  WA8WZG actually works all these right coast guys so he doesn't
count here :-) These efforts and the huge 6 meter Es totals and rates from
stations like K0GU and W5KFT have been overlooked for the most part in the
writeups.  There is more to the VHF contests than what happens on the right
coast although sometimes it is hard to tell without experience and looking
at the line scores.

73  Gene  W3ZZ
Director, CQWW VHF Contest
FM19jd  MD