[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest CW

Ed K1EP k1ep at arrl.net
Wed Jan 23 11:02:57 EST 2002

I have the same thoughts concerning CW during contests.  In the weeks and months preceding the contest, while 6M was open, there was a lot of CW activity that I could hear and worked, West coast, Europe, South America, etc.   During the contest, I heard very little CW activity, even though I spent much more time on CW than SSB.  My station at home is very weak and maybe I just didn't hear everyone during this contest.  However, during the June and September contests, I operate 6M at W2SZ/1 with a KW and four stacked six element yagis at 3500' ASL.  I still don't hear much CW at all during those contests.  During the contest, I do work a couple of cross mode contacts in the SSB portion of the band, with the calling station on CW responding to my SSB CQ.  Do many of the many CW operators sit out the contest?