[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest CW

Rogers, Ron RR124640 at Exchange.AtlantaGA.NCR.com
Wed Jan 23 13:44:09 EST 2002

The CW mode has always been a key strategy of us contest groups in the
Midwest (W9ICE and the old W8VP group) ....how do you think we could even
begin to be competitive with the big guns on the coasts in the Limited and
Un-limited classes without depending upon CW to give us those extra grid
squares to pump the scores?

 We feel very good if we achieve a placing in the top ten scores while
sitting out there in the flat corn fields of Indiana. The W9ICE group leans
on CW very hard for all frequencies above 144. In fact, check out the line
scores for the June ARRL contest and look at the W9ICE grid multipliers for
222 and 432. 80% of those grids on each band were achieved using CW.

CW is the weak signal mode that effectively delivers 100% of your capable RF
output to the antenna at any given instant. When the action is hot we can
use SSB but during those slow periods late Sat. night and all afternoon on
Sunday we turn on the CW "CQ Machines" and our kilowatts on all bands and
just start gyrating the antennas around in 5 degree increments until someone
stumbles upon our "beaconing" and answers.

CW contacts are so much more efficient, especially during shaky band
conditions. And, you can copy CW signals down in the noise with "coherent
reception" because of the associated rhythm of CW where you can't with SSB
fading in and out.
Late Sat. nights during 6 meter meteor activity we go exclusively to CW on 6
meters.

But then again, CW seems to be a dieing skill, except for those veteran
contesters that know how to pull those weak signal grids out at the 500+
mile range on the really high frequency bands.

Ron
-WB8ERB-
W9ICE Contest Group