[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest CW

Brian n5ba at qsl.net
Thu Jan 24 01:38:36 EST 2002

The June Contest of 2000 I had just been released by my cardiologist
to go home and take it easy.  Go home Friday night and the contest
started Saturday afternoon.  Take it easy!?!?!

I knew that if I grabbed the mic I would soon be screaming for grids.
Restricted myself to CW only and off of the Calling freq only.

Two meters was a bust.  Most rigs in this neck of the world are welded
to 144.200.  Calling CQ on 144.190 or .195 was not real effective, plus
all the tech minuses didn't have a clue.  Six meters, on the other hand
was a real hoot.  Taking it easy, staying below 50.100, worked 84 Q's
and 62 grids.  8 Watts to a Halo.

I'd have been real frustrated trying to work them on SSB with my less
than ideal set-up, but did just fine, thank you, on CW.  Wish more of
the guns would run down below .100 and look around.  They can pick up a
few new Q's.  I didn't put in a strong effort that year, but was able
to enjoy the contest and pick up a few new 6 meter grids to boot.

I'm not sure that this is an endorsement for more points on CW.  I
doubt it would really make that much difference in activity, it'd just
give the big guns more ammo.  Keep the scoring the same for now.
If you need to diddle with scoring the VHF Contests give the Rovers
back their points.  Those are the guys that make the contests
interesting.

73
Brian
N5BA