[VHFcontesting] CW

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 19:52:55 EST 2002

I really don't think scoring CW differently than SSB
is a good idea. As some others have pointed out or
questioned is how do you deal with mixed mode
contacts? I usually make several in every contest.

Also if the basis for more points for CW is because it
is believed to take greater skill, then how should the
new modes like WSJT or JT43 be handled? Do they take
less skill because there is a computer doing the heavy
processing work? Or should they be worth more because
it could be argued that they take more skill of a
different kind.

Assigning different point values to different modes I
think with be counter productive. Getting those extra
Q's and multipliers is motivation enough to either
learn CW or learn computer technology.

Perhaps a better way to give the VHF contesting bug to
newcomers is to have an FM only entry category (same
points per Q). Again in order to score better there
will be significant built-in motivation to connect
that new 160M - 70CM rig to a horizontally polarized
antenna for SSB/CW/WSJT/JT43 work instead of just a
vertical. Here in western EN53 trying to work Q's on
FM is usually unproductive, I would like to see that
change.

Duane
N9DG