[VHFcontesting] Re: Icom vs. Yaesu question

Don T. "AI4CW" dtrammel at hiwaay.net
Fri Jul 12 13:47:21 EDT 2002

I can only speak for my Icoms; they've always operated that way.  They
do select LSB normally for HF below 20M and USB for 20M & up if you're
using SSB.  My normal HF operations are QRP on 40/30M, so that's where
I'm coming from with my answer.  I do know that I've had to work around
the CW shortcomings in my x75 series rigs, but I also didn't care for
the way a friend's FT-847 does with CW the time that I tried it.  And
then there's the MFJ-9406 SSB rig that is USB CW (with the added CW
option board); I've used one of those as well and found it lacking
compared to my HF experience.  As I remember it, the instructions that
came with the option board even stated that most rigs used LSB for CW
and it explained the difference in tuning procedure to be able to work
them with the USB CW!

I figure that all of the rigs will have their shortcomings; it's just a
matter of finding the one that suits you best & working around the
things that you don't like.

73,
Don T.		AI4CW