[VHFcontesting] Re: 2002 CQ WW VHF Contest

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 12 16:28:58 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 01:07:46PM -0700, Steven Kerns wrote:
> Has there been any thought to making this an all band
> contest in the future?  It sure would make the contest
> a lot more interesting with more bands.  I (and maybe
> others) would operate this contest more seriously if
> more bands were involved.
>
> Just a thought, what does the list think?

Until 2000, it _was_ an all-band contest, and activity had sunk to an
incredible low.  In 2001, the format of the contest was changed to be
6M and 2M only, along with distance scoring, and activity has improved.

Given that every other VHF contest is either all-band or one-band,
I think a two-band contest is kind of interesting.

(Why are you cross-posting this to the W6YX reflector?  What is the purpose
of involving _that_ crowd in the discussion?)

> Steve Kerns, N3FTI
> 50MHz - 10GHz  FN20aj
>
> --- Eugene Zimmerman <ezimmerm at erols.com> wrote:
> > This is a reminder that the CQ WW VHF Contest will
> > be held NEXT weekend
> > beginning Saturday July 20 at 1800Z ending Sunday
> > July 21 at 2100Z.  This is
> > a 6 and 2 meter contest only.  Rules and log
> > submission information are at
> >
> > http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/VHFRUl02.pdf
> >
> > Cabrillo does NOT support this contest.  For
> > electronic logging, use the
> > ARRL VHF contest and change the two meter contacts
> > to two points in the
> > summary sheet.  If you submit by internet I need
> > your log [CT .all file or
> > equivalent] and a separate summary sheet [CT .sum
> > file or equivalent].
> > These can be sent as a single file if you wish.  Do
> > not send the Cabrillo
> > file WITHOUT a separate summary sheet.  I am unable
> > to extract the summary
> > information from the Cabrillo log.  But the Cabrillo
> > file will be o.k. for
> > your log.
> >
> > This contest has now been moved one week later to
> > avoid the HF IARU contest
> > and the WRTC, and to put it one week further away
> > from the European Field
> > Day.  This is an international contest.  All are
> > welcome.
> >
> > Hope to see you there.  With some E skip.
> >
> > 73  Gene  W3ZZ
> > Director, CQWW VHF Contest
> > FM19jd  MD
> > 50 => 10 GHz
> > Grid Pirates Contest Group K8GP
> > Member, CQWW Contest Advisory Group
> >

> > ------
> > Submissions:
> > vhf at w6yx.stanford.edu
> > Subscription/removal requests:
> > vhf-request at w6yx.stanford.edu
> > Human list administrator:
> vhf-approval at w6yx.stanford.edu

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops